I’ve talked in the past about how I try to make it my practice to publicly “tweet” my gratitude in order to remain focused on the positive things in my life, but sometimes I need more than 140 characters to remind myself how full my glass truly is.
I’ve started making gratitude lists in order to help me reframe a negative outlook into a positive one. I thought I’d share a list that I wrote this week:
Things I am grateful for:
- I have a job.
- I get paid to read and write about Facebook and social media all day. Seriously…short of working at Facebook, that’s a dream come true.
- I love my coworkers.
- I can work at #thecoffice and no longer have to commute, which gives me 4 hours of my life back while cutting down on a huge amount of stress, worry, and expense.
- I’m learning about and becoming a part of an industry that is surprisingly interesting. (Who knew HR technology and talent acquisition could be so thrilling?)
- I have my classes at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition to look forward to each week.
- I’m a few months away from being a certified health coach, which means I’m a few months away from working with others to improve their health, mindset, fitness, and nutrition. I can’t wait.
- The IIN has taken my growing network of incredible, dynamic, interesting, health-minded friends and exploded it–and it’s still growing!
- The life-changing weekend that was PaleoFX and the beautiful people I met as a result. (And whom I cannot wait to see again….can it be April now, please?)
- The Finding Our Hunger podcast, Ito the “Overachieving Liar” and our amazing guests, who blow my mind every time with their insight, their honesty, and their beautiful stories.
- This blog, which helped me open the door to recovery from my eating disorder, put me in touch with the Paleo-sphere and the recovery community, and changed my life for the better in every way.
- My right ankle injury forced me to give up my exercise addiction and find new ways to fulfill myself.
- I am slowly healing from the car accident, and my left ankle is stronger every day. The pain is just a reminder that I am lucky to be alive.
- I have an absurdly supportive family, and, as quirky as we are, we’re damn close, which is more than most people can say.
- My ridiculous and adorable (and highly photogenic) dog has given me a reason to wake up in the morning for the last 6 years.
- My words help others. What more could a person ask for than to be given the ability to make a positive impact on others’ lives?
And that’s just a starter. There is so much more to be grateful for, but these are the ones that stood out to me today.
I went “Showtunes”* on my Saturday:
- Old Devil Moon (Finian’s Rainbow)
- How Are Things in Glocca Morra? (Finian’s Rainbow)
- If This Isn’t Love (Finian’s Rainbow)
- You Mustn’t Kick It Around (Pal Joey)
– Yesterday was a quiet day. I slept in (which I never, ever do), went to two different farmers’ markets, and spent the day answering emails from people who contacted me through the blog and writing new posts for this week. Belting showtunes at the top of my lungs while walking Frida around the neighborhood was icing on the gluten-free, Paleo cake.** My ankles were terribly stiff and sitting most of the day actually made the pain worse (weird, I know), but overall, it was a quiet day made better by the inclusion of some sappy showtunes about love and all that jazz.
Looking back over my list helps me keep things in perspective. Nothing in life is ever going to be perfect–but that’s what keeps things interesting! What tools do you use to cope with stress and negativity? What are you grateful for?
*Actually, “Showtunes” was my old nickname when I was teaching at TestTakers SAT Prep in NY…
**If you’re into that sort of thing.